SINGLE REVIEW: ‘Gallery’ | Emily Mercer


Okay, so, the artist I’m here to talk to you about today absolutely blew me away within about thirty seconds. Manchester based Emily Mercer is a soul/folk/bedroom-pop/little bit of everything singer-songwriter, and she is releasing her new single, Gallery, on the 29th June; her first release since the Transparency EP that came out in January of last year. 

Mercer’s voice is indescribably beautiful, but I suppose I’ve got to try and describe it to you otherwise this would be a bit of a short and pointless review, and nobody wants short and pointless, do they?

Gallery is a set of building blocks. Beginning with just soft, isolated vocals and a piano; ending with a cacophony of full-blown instruments, with Mercer’s voice becoming louder and much more passionate. These 3 and a half minutes take me to a whole other world (you guys will have to decide how it makes you feel when you listen for yourselves). Just closing my eyes and taking in the track was an uplifting, dream-like experience - I can’t completely describe the feeling to you, but I promise you it’s a good one. 

On the single, Emily Mercer herself stated "Gallery is about a loss of control. It looks at intrusive thoughts, imposter syndrome, and the uncertainty of feeling that everyone else has it sorted.” This message is certainly portrayed through Mercer’s lyrical production, as well as the complete and utter power and emotion coming from her voice.

The instrumentals for this track were recorded in Leeds with Emily’s band, but when the world went into lockdown she was forced back into her bedroom; this being where the vocals were recorded, and the isolation helps give the single a much more intimate feel. 

I could’ve written “I love this song and you should too” over and over again, but that doesn’t really sell the song to you. 

(But, in all seriousness? I love this song and you should too)

Gallery will be available on all major streaming platforms on 29.06.
- - - -
Find Emily Mercer on:

Comments

Popular Posts