EP REVIEW: 'BACKBONE' | Artio


At the back end of 2019 I had the pleasure of interviewing synth/alt-pop trio Artio's lead vocalist, Hol Brazill, and when I asked what they had in store for their 2020 I was told "I can't share too much yet, but there is some excellent stuff to come." And, hell, was she right. If any of you readers have been here since I started up my blog last July, you'll remember that my first post was a review of this band and their debut Sedative EP. 8 months, multiple gigs, and a few singles on, this three-piece are back with their sophomore EP, BACKBONE, which is set to be released on Friday 6th March via Monomyth Records.

BACKBONE is a 6-track record featuring two pre-released singles, Hide Them From Me and Dancing In the Ashes, and live favourite Fear Is Funny. The EP, from start to finish, shows growth in terms of both production and ambition. It's got an element of personal growth running through it as, at only 18 years old,  Brazill is tackling issues such as climate injustice, sexual harassment, and mental illness, breaking down those walls and creating a discourse. I don't bloody know how she does it, but I admire her wholly for her power.

I'm not going to dwell on Hide Them From Me for too long, as I said my piece on it when it was first released. What I will say, though, is that amidst the rest of this EP, the single thrives and fits right in place. Mental illness is often difficult to talk about, and Brazill shows us that reality through this track, but instead of making it something to be ashamed of, she fills us with home and a message that "it's okay not to be okay."

"Do you value me? Am I all that you need?" Next up on the EP is Arrow. The heavy breathing that introduces the track adds an immediate edge of suspense, and Hol's vocals hollow out the background instruments. We're walked through a toxic relationship, the manipulation evident at the start - "I'm lost in your grace, till you spit in my face" - and the feeling of 'breaking free' becomes present as the track emanates. Brazill almost yells "I don't need you anymore" and it hits us right where it hurts. The coarse layers of vocals in the verses transform into powerful, raw choruses, and I must admit I was a bit taken aback by the strength presented to us through both Hol's vocals and words. Arrow is definitely right up there with Artio's best songs.

The third track is Scissor Kill, which some fans may have already heard as it was BBC Introducing West Yorkshire's Track of the Week, and the following week it was spun on BBC 6 Music. It's been described as "an excellent alt-pop track; you can just hear this being absolutely massive," and I agree. Probably one of the more 'poppy' tracks on the EP, it is absolutely huge. Brazill's vocals are a little slower, more stretched out, and the song has a strangely soothing element about it. I'm not going to lie to you, I don't have anything super technical to say about this song, I just love it. It's a definite ear pleaser.

Tracks four and five, Dancing In the Ashes and Fear Is Funny, come under a similar topic. They're both incredibly politically driven and slightly controversial; criticising the fat cats and government that are pleading ignorant to the climate crisis, which is a topic the band, and Brazill especially, are heavily passionate about. The two tracks allow Hol to "release these feelings into the world, but with poise and skill, to raise my voice and stand for what I believe in." With climate change having become a major topic of conversation, Artio are feeding this discourse and providing a beacon of hope to others fighting for the same cause - "our plight is spreading, and the more people see we will not back down, the more they'll listen." Artio are using the platform they have to encourage people to fight back, too. Just another reason why they're one of the strongest and most inspirational - yet, strangely, underrated - artists on the scene right now. Musically, Dancing In the Ashes is one of the more synth-y tracks that's featured, but the sturdy beat alongside Brazill's dominant vocals spread the band's message perfectly. Fear Is Funny begins with a sombre tone, the melody delicate and Hol sounds upset and fearful, as she questions the higher power on the state our world is in as a result of their inactivity and ignorance. A volta soon appears, and the song becomes more vivacious, in classic Artio style. The track ends with Brazill shouting the chorus at us - which is what makes it so powerful live - and the instrumentals finish it off for us, allowing us to be thrown straight into the final track...

...that being Backbone, the eponymous ending to this EP. I am so mesmerised by this track. The introductory keys are quickly joined by Hol's echoey, passionate voice. At first you think it's going to be a complete ballad, with the smooth sombre tone taking control - but we all know Artio well enough by now that they've gotta give us a beat to bop to, and that's exactly what they do: the tempo rises and the light pulsing that's been in the background since the start becomes more evident. Towards the end of the track the calmer, softer composition returns, and before we know it it's over. It took me 3 minutes and 21 seconds to listen to that song, but it felt like for ever - in the best way.

Then we're at the end of the EP. Less than 20 minutes of music and it leaves you feeling like that - you'll know the feeling when you've listened to it all the way through. We go on some sort of journey, tackling the topics raised with the band, and once I'd finished listening I felt a sense of accomplishment. I might be biased, as I've had the EP on repeat for a few days, but I was genuinely stunned after my first listen. 

Throughout 2019 the group achieved immense things, playing at least two shows a month since April, working tirelessly to create music that, not only we love, they're proud of. This year, so far, they've been announced as an act to play at Live At Leeds and Bingley Weekender - falling under an array of other incredible names - and are currently in the midst of a Spring 2020 UK tour, playing and promoting BACKBONE. They've made their debut in multiple cities and their hometown gig is a beloved Wardrobe headliner on March 13th; accompanied by support from Dakota Avenue, Ava in the Dark, and Backspace. Their live shows are a 'must see' experience, as Brazill completely takes control of the stage, and sings with such power "for those in the venue, those on the other side of the world, and for myself at my lowest points." Hol told me in the interview that "if I believe in my skill and myself there's no fucking stopping me," and I trust every word she says. 

Artio are a force to be reckoned with and I'd like to see you try break down the strength this band bring.

Comments

Popular Posts