SINGLE REVIEW: ‘Mathilda’ | Deep.Sleep


January is probably the worst month of the year. We’re all back to school, back to work, and after a lovely few weeks off over the festive period, we’re back to the daily grind and must once again face reality. It’s hard, right?

Thankfully I have a song that’ll get you out of that zombie-like haze, and into a joyful “I-can’t-wait-for-summer” mood. Hailing from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, indie pop quartet Deep.Sleep are set to release their new track, Mathilda, tomorrow. A track that came about in an unfortunate scenario, the lads wrote it when Dan’s car broke down in the midst of a UK tour; everything was put in jeopardy but, hey, it resulted in a banger!

Channeling the sounds of bands such as Corella and Viola Beach, Deep.Sleep have put together cheesy pop-song lyrics and sun-soaked instrumentals to create a vivacious summer anthem. Mathilda is about being carefree, and giving everything away for someone you love - frontman Dan Frend explained “it’s about a time in my life where I was ready to bare everything and give everything I had for a single second of reciprocation... [it] is a sonic representation of everything I felt during that time.”

We all love love, right? Well I bloody love this song, and I hope you guys do too. 

Comments

Popular Posts