INTERVIEW: 'It's all about cultivating a scene' | floreatgeorge


George Smith, more commonly known as floreatgeorge, is an independent producer and musician based in Wolverhampton. Taking inspiration from the bedroom pop and self-production scene that's emerging across the world, the music he writes, records and releases from his bedroom is relaxing and laidback. I spoke with the lovely man himself about an array of things, from inspirations to scotch eggs/

What drew you to the music industry?
I've been in music for years through the band Tinned Astronaut, who're on a bit of a hiatus now. Since I graduated in July I've been involved in The Future Sound Project, as well as working for Revolver Records and Wolverhampton Music Service. I'm around music all the time and writing and producing this EP has been really enjoyable, and definitely something I'd like to do more of.

If you weren't pursuing music, what career path would you have gone down?
It's really hard to say as for the last three years I've been pretty clear about wanting to be involved in music in some way. I did an internship at a recruitment company over the summer, and to tell the truth I'm trying to get as far away from that life as possible - no offence to the recruiters out there, but the people in that office had the personality of a mouldy scotch egg.

You've led me onto my next question perfectly... I'm really curious as to where your scotch egg obsession came from - your Instagram stories have me in bits!
Haha, I wish I could put my finger on the date I realised how much I liked them because I'd apply for a 'National SCEGG Day.' I just think they're special, man, but the variation in production is just insane. For the supermarket ranges you could be jumping from a sausage that falls apart that's overly seasoned, to a near restaurant quality SCEGG - I see it as my duty to help people make the right choice, hence ScotchWatch.

Where has the best scotch egg?
Big question this is. Of course, we all know the best SCEGG you can have is the one that's in your hand ready to eat - the tastiest, most professionally assembled scotch egg is worthless if you can't get at it. That being said, Aldi do a pretty good double pack for about 89p. SCEGGs are an art and art is subjective, you've really just got to work out what works for you.

Moving on swiftly, who're your inspirations - either personally or professionally?
Wicked question, man! There's a producer I look up to massively: Fraser T Smith. He's done work on Stormzy's GS&P, Kano's Made in the Manor, a lot of Dave's work, as well as working with artists like Adele, Sam Smith, etc. I think he exemplifies UK music, encouraging artists to tell their own story rather than copying an American sounds, plus his skill is second to none. That UK voice is one of the most exciting things happening to our industry right now. My brothers also keep me on my toes to be honest, they're brilliant musicians themselves so I feel obliged to compete for my parent's love.

It's clear that Brum's scene is thriving, but as an artist yourself do you find it difficult to make yourself known?
It absolutely is a brilliant scene! And no, I'm not worried about that - it might sound like a cliché but to be perfectly honest I'm not trying to make a name for myself. This EP came about because I recorded a few loops and beats to practice guitar and keys over; it's just how I relax in the evenings, I guess. What's really exciting are the new waves of bands coming through that we (The Future Sound Project) get to work with, especially making reference to this new punk scene: bands like The Earnest Spears, Twelve Twelve, Pretty Vile, The Butters Aliens, etc. The energy these guys display is unrivalled - it's all about putting Brum back on the map.

You've been releasing SoundCloud demos but last week you finally made your Spotify debut - how have people reacted to Floreat?
Surprisingly well, actually! I've had some really nice messages about the tracks and I think a few people have slipped them into their chill/study playlists, which is great to hear. Spotify gives you loads of stats about your streams which I'm a bit of a nerd for - it's mad to think that the tunes you write in your bedroom have been streamed in places like Ecuador and Malaysia. But yeah, positive response man! In general musicians are all always really supportive of each other which is a great thing to be a part of.

If you could collaborate with any artist - dead or alive - on a track, who would it be and why?
There's a French artist called FKJ - he's a wizard. Honestly, I don't know how he creates the sounds he does, bit I feel like I'd learn ten years' worth of lessons if he let me jump on a track with him. He does it all: the song writing, playing each instrument, the production... come to think of it, he really doesn't need to collab with anyone!

You give me a very Tom Misch/Superfood vibe - how would you describe your sound?
Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate to me! Tom Misch is a big inspiration for me, as is everyone in the London jazz scene that we're seeing rise up right now. Superfood is an interesting one, too! We grew up on those guys and the rest of the B-Town scene (Swim Deep, Peace, Jaws) so I wouldn't be surprised if there's still some influence shining through there. I think of my stuff as laid back and chilled through and through - I write it to relax, so hopefully other people feel that too.

Lastly, what are the next steps for you?
2019 is filled to the brim with our work promoting shows up until the new year, so probably no new music for a while. I don't feel any pressure to write or release for a bit while we prep for 2020 but there'll definitely be more music in the future. I'm also in the process of setting up a studio in Wolves with my brother - @floreatarnie on Instagram, check him out - which we're hoping will encourage more independent artists to get involved in music - it's all about cultivating a scene, man!

Biggest thank you to George for joining me and giving me an insight into his work in the industry! Make sure to check out the floreat EP but also support his other endeavours!

Comments

Popular Posts